However which way we look at things, we’re becoming realists and the old days of technology hype and fear of change are receding into the past. Over the past year, we’ve gradually let go of the many shackles of the past and started to realize we’re in a new reality, a wholly new environment, where we’re all trying to focus on achieving real business outcomes, on values that are important to us, and a new work reality where its intense, high-touch and very real. The change in the enterprise mindset towards technology has gone through a genuinely pragmatic revolution over the past year. The realization that being able to function in a virtual model has gradually drained the remnants of hype of the technology value propositions.
In short, data has become the strategy to be successful in this new virtual world, and achieving that data is based on these two factors:
- No more flashy bullsh*t. There is no room for solutions that are confusing, designed to make people look special, but ultimately pathetic in real value and execution.
- Data and processes are inextricably linked. The focus on value has shifted firmly to the strategic value of data and how designing processes can help you achieve the data outcomes that create the value.
We need to understand that data is the strategy and how the data cycle works to get us ahead of our markets. Here are five steps we must take:
- Get The Data to Win In your Market. This is where you must align your data needs to deliver on business strategy. This is where you clarify your vision and purpose.
- Re-think processes to get the data, Then you must re-think what should be added, eliminated, simplified across your workflows to source this critical data.
- Design your new operational workflows in the cloud. There is simply no option but to have a plan to design processes in the cloud over three-tier web-architected applications. In the Work-from-Anywhere Economy, our global talent has to come together to create our borderless, completely digital business. This is the true environment for real digital transformation in action.
- Automate processes and data. Automation is not your strategy. It is the necessary discipline to ensure your processes provide the data – at speed – to achieve your business outcomes. Hence you have to approach all future automation in the cloud if you want your processes to run effectively end-to-end.
- Apply AI to data flows to anticipate at speed. Once you have successfully automated processes in the cloud, it is easy to administer AI solutions to deliver at speed in self-improving feedback loops. This is where you apply digital assistants, computer vision, machine learning, and other techniques to refine the efficacy of your data. AI is how we engage with our data to refine ourselves as digital organizations where we only want a single office to operate with agility to do things faster, cheaper, and more streamlined than we ever thought possible. AI helps us predict and anticipate how to beat our competitors and delight our customers, reaching both outside and inside of our organizations to pull the data we need to make critical decisions at speed.
Bottom-line: You can’t get the data you need need you don’t have the people, partners, processes, technology – and desire to change – to make this possible
You can lead a horse to water, but can you get it to drink? OneOffice is about understanding and discovering the data you must have to win in your market – right now in real time – and in the future – as the market environment keeps changing. Then you need to make your data ubiquitously available, accessible, and mineable – embedding a mindset into your leadership to inspire your people to work together to create an organization that can flip its business model to exploit these seismic market changes. You can’t get the data you need if your critical data is not in the cloud and you don’t have the people, partners, processes, technology – and desire to change – to make this possible